Feichao Universal Dual Cubic Mount Adapter
a compact, lightweight and durable, CNC machined aluminium alloy adapter with a female 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 UNC interface for mounting a wide range of camera accessories ( 29g )
|Main Material (Machining Process)||Aluminium Alloy (CNC)|
|Thread / Interface||1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 UNC|
|Dimensions (H x W x D)||40 x 20 x 20 mm|
|Item Weight||29 g|
|Price on SYSTEM||£ 7.95|
The main section of our tripod column for the Scrambler ultralight modular tripod features a base quick release, an aluminium rod and a mounting adapter. Of the three, the mount was the hardest to find. There's a wide range of "magic cubes", cheese rods, alloy spheres and bucky-ball shaped stuff out there, all intended to mount standard UNC threaded camera accessories. The vast majority were far too heavy for our purposes.
What we wanted was:
- something compact and taller than it was wide
- with a 1/4" threaded hole at the top and at the base, and
- enough additional perpendicular mounts for a range of accessories
- that was also robust and very light-weight
We finally came across Feichao's Dual Cubic Mount and it was the perfect match. It adds a very useful 4cm of height so we were able to go with a shorter / lighter rod and of course it provides seven 1/4"-20 threaded holes on its side-facing mounts. We use these to mount two essential accessories:
- Our Leg #4 : a modular fourth leg to allow the tripod to lean in inclines on steep terrain and to create a ultra stable wider base on lesser slopes when needed
- A D-Ring to secure to a carabiner clip for attaching to the back of packs (this accessory is also made by Feichao and comes with a very usefull 4mm hex bit at the end of its 1/4" screw in case you need to fasten or remove accessories fastened with hex screws (like the cold shoe mount on our Leg #4 component) in the field.
Feichao & The Dual Cube
Feichao are not as well known as most of the manufacturers we source components from. In many ways they go under the radar because, a) they make many components for other brands which then get re-badged, b) they chose not to use a western sounding name (like SmallRig or Camvate) and c) their focus is clearly on manufacturing and not marketing. However, they're a major player in CNC machining, 3D printing, underwater and drone photography. We went with Feichao for most of our accessories, but two in particular stood out - their excellent ultralight arca swiss plate (which is a good example of an item that has other brand logos printed on it) and their Dual Cubic Mount, which in our view is by far the most useful (and highest quality) compact design out there - it's also one of, if not the lightest.
Obviously, there are many uses for the Feichao mount beyond our Scrambler UL tripod, and this is largely why we offer the tripod's components separately rather than just supplying the tripod as a kit.
With each Feichao mount we supply two M6 rubber washers which are compatible with 1/4"-20 male screw fittings.
[ click to enlarge the image, then click left of centre (for previous) or right of centre (for next) to cycle through all images at full size ]